Chapter F – Classroom Organization
Part 7.0 Volunteers
Section 7.3 Volunteer Agreement
Volunteer Agreement (Signed by every parent/guardian volunteer.)
The talents and services of volunteers are important to American Preparatory Academy (the school) in accomplishing its Mission. The purpose of this document is to:
- Establish standards and guidelines for volunteer services so that both the volunteer and the school understand the parameters of the volunteer relationship.
- Reduce the risk of unwanted legal exposure of volunteers and the school.
- Promote safety for volunteers, students, and employees.
Volunteering activities may require access to information that is confidential or otherwise considered by the federal government, state government, school, community, parents, guardians or students to be privileged and confidential. Such information is identified by the school and must be determined to be confidential within the definitions of the law. If these criteria are met, such information may be received and maintained by staff or volunteers under a promise of confidentiality for a prescribed period of time to perform a specific task.
Maintaining the confidentiality of such information is primarily the responsibility of school administration. However, faculty, staff and volunteers with access to confidential information undertake this responsibility as part of their employment or volunteering activities.
This Agreement shall govern the conditions of disclosure by the school of certain “Confidential Information” including but not limited to student information, school records, staff information, staff records, financial information, data, trade secrets and intellectual property relating to the school and its staff and student body. With regard to the Confidential Information, I agree:
- To safeguard the information against disclosure to others with the same degree of care as I would exercise with my own information of a similar nature.
- Not to disclose the information to others, without the express written permission of the American Preparatory Academy of Draper.
- That the secrecy obligations with respect to the confidential information shall continue indefinitely.
Acknowledgements and Work Product Agreement
- I release the school and its officers, employees, representatives and contracted affiliates from any responsibility or liability for personal injury, including death, and damage to or loss of property that I may incur while volunteering at the school or in connection with school activities or events.
- I acknowledge that I neither gain nor retain ownership rights to the work product of the material provided to me, used, or created by me in conjunction with any school project. I understand that the school has sole ownership of the work product and may use the results of my efforts in any manner appropriate including licensing such work product to others. I agree to return school materials provided to me in connection with volunteering activities.
- The school accepts the lawful service of all volunteers with the understanding that such service is at the sole discretion of the school. I understand that the school may at any time, for whatever reason, revoke volunteering privileges.
- As a volunteer, I understand that I may not speak or make statements on behalf of the school, indebt the school, nor may I speak to the media or make public statements about the school or its facility, operations, staff, students, visitors or volunteers.
- I understand that while volunteering, I must follow the policies and procedures of the school under the direction of school staff. I understand that I will not be compensated for my services.
Safe School Environment and Code of Conduct Acknowledgement
The school strives to provide a safe and nurturing learning environment for students and staff. With regard to providing a safe school environment:
- I understand that I am expected to maintain a high ethical and professional standard in their interaction with both adults and minors.
- I understand that I am prohibited from using physical discipline (including corporal punishment) in any way for the behavior management of students. I understand that clear professional boundaries must exist between minors and adults.
- I agree that I shall not engage in any form of unlawful, unacceptable or offensive behavior with students, parents/legal guardians, staff or visitors to the school which may include, but is not limited to (a) verbal harassment, such as derogatory comments, jokes, or slurs; (b) visual harassment, such as derogatory or sexually explicit printed material, books, magazines, posters, cards, calendars, cartoons, graffiti, drawings, notes, or gestures; (c) sexual advances or other physical conduct or contact of a sexual nature; (d) physical harassment, such as inappropriate touching, hitting, kicking, grabbing or any other form of aggressive, abrasive or harassing physical contact; (e) other behavior deemed offensive or inappropriate by school administration.
- I agree to promptly report any activity to school administration that I observe that places a student in distress or danger, and I agree to take appropriate steps to immediately intervene and to provide a safe environment for the student.
- I understand that unless the school has a parent or legal guardian’s knowledge and consent in the form of a written permission slip, I am never to drive students in my vehicle, before, during or after school unless there is a medical emergency requiring immediate medical care. When authorized to do so, I will operate my vehicle in accordance with the law.
- I understand that school programs, extra-curricular activities or special instruction sessions shall not be conducted by only one adult without additional adult presence and/or must be conducted at times and locations that promote accountability, in an open room or hallway setting without closed doors, and only if readily observable by others who may be in the room or hallway, and meet accepted standards of propriety.
- I understand that I may not be alone in locker rooms or other dressing rooms with a single or small group of students without another adult present. I understand that I am prohibited from these areas while students are changing.
As a volunteer at the school, I acknowledge receipt of the Volunteer Agreement. I understand the policies and procedures contained in these documents.
I agree, as a condition of service at the American Preparatory Academy to abide by these policies and procedures. I understand that the school reserves the right to withdraw my volunteering privileges at any time with or without cause, with or without notice.
Policy Cross-references: C-9.2, E-7.4, and I-6.2 Volunteer Agreement
B-7.4, D-6.4, and F-4.2 Student Privacy
D-3.1 Staff to Student Guidelines
Office Forms: OF E-7.4 Volunteer Agreement Form