Chapter I – Health and Safety
Part 1.0 Student Health
Section 1.1 General Student Health
General Student Health
- Each student will have the health section of the enrollment card filled out by their parent/guardian as part of school enrollment.
- Students will not be allowed at school without the health information on file in the front office.
- Parents of students who have specific or special health concerns, chronic illness, or in need of medication during school hours must fill out a “health alert form” (available at the front desk). This information will be given to the school nurse, and (all Health Alert Forms are kept in a binder in alphabetical order. If the student needs meds administered by office staff there must be a Medical Administration Form must be filled out by the parent and the family doctor. The Medical Administration Form is attached to the student’s Health Alert Form. An expandable file with the student’s name will be placed in the medical drawer with the medication for that student. A Medication Log is kept in the same drawer with a form for each student to record the date and time the medications were administered.). each student who has a form will have a red “health alert” folder which will be kept at the school office. This folder will contain information on procedures to follow in case of illness or emergency, as well as any necessary parental permission.
- Parents should immediately notify the school if their student(s) start or stop medications so the “health alert form” can be created or updated and school be prepared should an emergency occur.
- Teachers will be given health files on students with health concerns, chronic illnesses or who take daily medication administered during school hours. Teachers will keep health files on these students readily available to them. At the end of the school year, the classroom Health Alert file is returned to the office to be shredded. The complete Health Alert Binder is archived by administration.
- At the beginning of each school year, staff will receive their health alert files and each student’s needs will be discussed by the teacher, office staff and director with the APA nurse.
- If a staff member has a concern regarding a student’s health, they should bring the student to the school office immediately.